Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria (and soon Bangladesh and Senegal) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
You will join Sendwave’s existing four-member finance team as our Assistant Financial Controller, with a focus on our European and United Kingdom entities. This role plays a vital part in the operations of the company by ensuring a timely close of our financials to meet our monthly reporting requirements.You will be responsible for:
- Oversight of our EU and UK legal entities, leading our annual statutory audits and ensuring all compliance requests are fulfilled
- Assisting our Controller in the review of our consolidated financials and our consolidated annual audit
- Maintain and own processes for the monthly close, including some journal entry posting
- Supervision of one staff/sr accountant
- Monthly review of all cash and other balance sheet accounts
- Monitor and continue to develop control documentation
- Management of our FloQast close management software
- Project manager for our finance engineering team helping to direct priorities and working closely with team to respond to queries around transactions, funds flow, and partner specific issues
- Communication with new and existing external partners for statement integration and reconciliation issues
- Assist with newly developed FP&A and budgeting process
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. For this role, you will need to be based in Belgium.
- 5 years experience in accounting, and a plus if in the Financial Services industry operating in a multi currency environment
- 2 years of experience leading a team
- Have demonstrable experience of leading an audit
- Strong grasp of financial close process
You might be a good fit if you have:
- Chartered Accountant or similar designation or in process of obtaining such designation.
- Are enthusiastic about learning new reporting tools, solving unique problems, and optimizing processes.
- Can navigate ambiguity and find creative ways to solve problems.
- Are a goal-oriented leader, capable of working on fast-moving small team as both an individual contributor and manager
- Are passionate about Wave's mission and eager to do what needs to be done to achieve it
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people operations professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2019, we've been to Montreal (Canada), Dakar (Senegal), Maine (USA), Puerto Rico (USA) and Colorado (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.