Who we are
Balena is a highly distributed company that has embraced a remote-first approach since 2013. We are a group of individuals from across the globe working together to achieve our mission: “reduce friction for fleet owners and unlock the power of physical computing”.
For us, this means removing the barriers to entry for developing IoT products, whether that’s streamlining software deployments using balenaCloud, simplifying image flashing with balenaEtcher, or offering our own hardware based on our experience seeing thousands of devices running in production environments. We're engineering a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications at the Edge.
- We place trust and autonomy in our team to own the outcome of their work.
- We practice radical candor and transparency with open, honest, and clear communications.
- We embrace first-principles thinking and constantly challenge our assumptions.
- We organize ourselves based on the best use of our collective abilities to solve our highest priority problems at any given time, rather than by a strict hierarchy.
- We’re not afraid to fail as long as we learn from our mistakes.
- We are always looking for common patterns that allow us to reduce complexity.
- We embrace short term pain for long term gain, designing, and building products that will stand the test of time.
Being a Backend Engineer at balena
As a Backend Engineer joining the team, your first few weeks will be spent absorbing context and understanding how we work. You will be asking lots of questions, reading code and documentation, picking up issues, and researching any new technologies you come across. You will work on continuously improving your understanding of our interdependent systems, and collaborate with other engineers to build and maintain the core of balena’s products & services.
As you grow in the role, the projects you work on will get more complex, the architectural challenges harder, and your decisions will have a higher impact. You will be empowered to identify platform improvements (relating to quality, security, or performance, for example), communicate proposals, implement solutions, and release new capabilities. We’re looking for engineers with a strong interest in building not only resilient and robust systems but also successful products for our users!
- Develop new features and solutions across the product stack, ensuring the architecture of our distributed systems remains cohesive
- Evaluate user requirements and other inputs to determine the scope of new functionality
- Find recurring patterns in product feedback and use that to drive change
- Own projects from concept to execution, including development, testing, deployment, and monitoring
- Contribute to documentation and user-facing guides for your implementations
- Be a key resource for peers on support, lending your expertise and educating others
- Constantly question how we can maintain and grow an infrastructure that optimizes for security, availability, observability, and high-performance
- Actively invest back in our technology, libraries, and frameworks (we look at these as continuous work in progress)
- Strong technical background with a focus on backend development and infrastructure
- Experience writing high-quality, production-ready code and debugging complex issues
- Working knowledge of modern software practices, such as instrumenting applications for observability
- Drive for execution — owning outcomes and pushing projects to completion
- Ability to manage ambiguity and independently make critical trade-off decisions
- Continuous improvement mindset, and desire to make yourself and others more effective
- Willingness to constantly build on your knowledge of the balena platform and new technologies
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English
- Experience with technologies like Typescript, Node.js, Go, PostgreSQL, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Background in leading projects and working cross-functionally to build great products
- Strong understanding of networking concepts (load balancers, routers, etc.)
- Experience with IoT, embedded SW, dev tools, or balena as a user/contributor
- Contributions to OSS projects and community involvement
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you! If possible, please also share a sample of your work or side projects (URL or attachment).Benefits
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!