One Concern is a Menlo Park-based benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future, through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate, motivated, and high-reaching engineers to join our team. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
As a Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for helping to shape the direction of our technology eco-system as well as take on component implementations yourself. You will apply and teach best practices in development processes where needed, and use a light touch where not needed. You will foster transparency and collaboration - bringing people together to work on the system solution rather than acting as a lone wolf. You will keep abreast of new technologies, but be a cautious early adopter, recognizing the need to build a stable solution familiar to team members.
- Collaborate with product, data science Ph.Ds, fellow engineers and operations to build and deploy microservices and data pipelines for ML models.
- Actively communicating in standups and design discussions.
- Collaborate with the team to find the right place to implement a solution, as opposed to the place that is in front of you.
- Work with or create geospatial aware infrastructure services.
- Collaborate with Product Team on ideation, timelines and engineering effort.
- Ensure that your component does what it says on the box, is easy to operate and meets the quality expectations through automation.
- 2+ years of relevant experience building large-scale infrastructure applications or similar experience
- Experience architecting, developing and scaling production pipelines involving live data and ML flows.
- Experience in creating complex data workflows in Kubernetes
- Experience in software development using general-purpose programming languages (e.g., Python, Go).
- Experience with scaling relational databases (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Experience in agile environment.
Nice to have
- Fluency in Python and Go
- Fluency in PostGIS
- Familiarity with nosql DBs and nosql postgres extensions
- Experience interacting and working alongside data scientists
- Experience working on systems that involve geospatial mapping.