Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the largest and most exciting open source projects on the web. We’re a modern website framework that builds performance into every website by leveraging the latest web technologies. Create blazing fast, compelling apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
- Reports to: VP of Operations
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a fast-growing remote-first startup. We’re just a few years old, and in the last year, we’ve more than doubled our size. Now at 70 people, we’re experiencing substantial changes as we transition to a real business. We need someone who can tackle this time of change with us, and set our people up for future success.
Why this is interesting
You will directly impact the success of Gatsby. We will thrive as a company if our people thrive, and we want you to figure out how to enable them to do so. How cool is that?
Your chief responsibility will be keeping Gatsby accountable to an employee-centric focus across the broader organization to facilitate high-performance and inclusion. On any given day this may include:
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Keep the pulse on employee sentiment through various methods such as an engagement survey program (doesn’t exist yet!) and regular check-ins.
- Help employees resolve complex employee relations issues via thorough and objective investigations.
- Provide HR policy guidance, iteration, and interpretation.
- Work with leadership to craft our internal communications strategy that keeps employees informed where appropriate.
- Create clear channels for communication across multiple domains - i.e. Slack, All Hands, Guru (our internal wiki), etc.
- Set communication standards that foster a respectful and collaborative discourse.
- Improve managers’ competencies at driving delivering highest-impact feedback
- Lead and manage talent performance programs (i.e. performance reviews, performance improvement plans, career development/coaching, etc.)
- Establish a continuous performance and improvement effort. Regularly report the status of performance improvement efforts and impacts.
- Ensure we recognize and celebrate people when they produce awesome results
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Drive company-wide D&I initiatives and support team-specific ones.
- Ensure policies are fair and consistently applied to all groups.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, community partners and outside organizations to further our diversity efforts
Learning & Development
- Work across teams to enhance 0-30-60-90 day onboarding curriculum, ensuring new employees ramp up as quickly and effectively as possible
- Lead trainings and workshops for employees (i.e. management skills and conduct).
- Facilitate exit interviews and use the feedback to drive meaningful change
- Significant HR experience (i.e. 6+ years): You’ve been around the block. To be successful, you’ll need to feel comfortable jumping in, evaluating the current environment, and enacting change. This is a must.
- Leadership: You’ve led people before. You won’t manage a team immediately, but this function will expand in the future and you’ll need to feel comfortable managing that team.
- Performance management: You’ve worked to improve employee performance before and understand how to measure success.
- DEI: You understand the necessity and value of diversity, equity and inclusion. You demonstrate awareness and understanding of multiple facets of diversity---including culture, race, religion, gender, education, age, sexual orientation, language, and other differences that make us unique. You’re comfortable talking about it and supporting others in becoming more fluent.
- Track record of results: You prioritize what is most impactful and produce results. You don’t get overwhelmed when there is a ton to do, which will be often in this role. You get shit done.
Preferred Experience (Not Required)
- You’ve worked at a scaling startup: Experience at an established company is fine, but scrappiness (which is important) often comes from startup experience.
- Compensation: It would be very convenient if you have experience designing compensation structures in a remote company.
Personal Qualities Needed
- Thick skin: You are a tough cookie! Leading HR at a fast-paced start up is not for the faint of heart. You will need to be okay with sometimes making unpopular decisions.
- Exceptional judgement: You may not be an expert in every issue, but you know how to ask effective questions, think critically, and make the tough decisions.
- Strong interpersonal skills: You can gain trust quickly, gain context, and persuade others to accomplish project objectives.
The best parts of this job
- The team you will join (Operations) will be your biggest champions. We are incredibly tight knit and have way too much fun together.
- You will have a massive impact on the success of our company and the experiences of all our employees.
- You will be a highly visible figure in the organization, with significant exposure to executive leadership.
- We get excited about experimentation. We welcome the opportunity to build something awesome - even if it’s not the traditional way to do it.
The worst parts of this job
- We are making a lot of internal changes and adjusting to new norms, and will continue to do so as we scale. People have, and will continue to have, differing feelings about those changes. Sometimes those are good feelings, sometimes not so good.
- We also have people who are really invested and have a lot of opinions about a lot of things. We like this, but it may sometimes be challenging to satisfy them all.
- Improvements in the HR world often take time. You’ll have to build new things and you may not see the fruits of your labor immediately.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (this one is on a bit of a pause…)
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.