We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as remote Director, Product Design and help shape the DuckDuckGo user experience across all of our products.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in our products. You will be involved in the entire design process, from ideation to execution, and have a voice in all product decisions, big and small. Over time you will take responsibility for mentoring fellow designers on functional and career growth.
We are fully-remote and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you'd thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead development of projects by taking vague problems, scoping them into high impact projects, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Take responsibility for solving product issues – large and small.
- Lead by example, providing hands-on support, creating flow diagrams, exploring design solutions, and building prototypes that help teams arrive at solutions.
- Lead and collaborate with designers dedicated to building world-class privacy products, and assist in growing our company by hiring and mentoring both designers and emerging leaders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create impactful work that is informed by data and user feedback.
- Advise members of the design team in both functional and career growth.
- Participate in mentorship, knowledge sharing, and/or contributing to evolving our processes.
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years of product design experience with a minimum of 4+ years in lead-level design positions (e.g., Director, Lead) at significant global consumer brands.
- A proven track record and hands-on strengths in designing mobile apps, desktop apps, and/or multi-platform products, as demonstrated in your portfolio.
- Proficiency in defining, comprehending, and producing flows involved in complex and cross-platform products.
- Ability to advise and mentor other designers on their process, craft, and career growth.
- A hands-on leader happy to spend time performing complex design work as an individual contributor.
- Proficiency in leading projects through all areas of the product process, including the ability to write project briefs that define and communicate project goals with stakeholders.
- Ability to carry ideas forward with confidence and discretion while working proactively, independently and transparently.
- Strong aesthetic sensibility with acute attention to detail.
- Expertise and experience developing, scaling, and evolving design systems across products.
- Proficiency with leveraging both qualitative and quantitative data in making design decisions.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We aim to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.