Buffer is an equal opportunity employer with teammates all around the world. Our team is made up of individuals who hail from startups to the theatre - we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds, and encourage all those who are interested in joining the journey to apply.
We're aligned through Buffer's values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where under-indexed groups are truly welcomed and can flourish.
Our Culture and Values
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here's a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative effort built on the foundation of our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
We're cultivating a unique and robust culture, and building a different type of company that’s focused not only on the bottom line, but also the happiness and personal growth of our customers and team along the journey.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product. You'll work where you're happiest and most productive, in the place that helps you to become the person you wish to be.
What You'll Do
- Lead engineering team(s) to deliver high quality software on predictable schedules, working to reduce cycle time and friction for your team.
- Partner closely with Product Managers to cut scope and continuously deliver software in a lean way.
Have regular one on ones with engineers, where you will:
- Set expectations, provide regular feedback & hold team members accountable.
- Develop a strong two-way feedback loop where you share wider organizational context and build a deep understanding of each engineer and how they work.
- Support engineers and help reach a resolution when challenges arise.
- Craft a fulfilling and engaging work experience through regular career growth and development conversations.
Manage the context in which team members operate, including:
- Representing the team in planning meetings.
- Translating engineering team vision and technical road map into action.
- Coordinating with other areas such as Marketing and Customer Advocacy as needed.
- Iterate and improve our engineering processes and technical culture.
- Participate in hiring and on-boarding of engineers.
You'll also maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities your team is facing building and deploying software. Little of your time would be spent coding, but you will be expected to maintain context, ask informative questions, and assist the team in making strategic trade-offs.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- You have experience leading an engineering team, either as an Engineering Manager, or as a Senior Engineer/Technical lead.
- You have a technical background - Engineering Managers at Buffer have typically worked as Senior Engineers in their careers.
- You’re capable of leading globally distributed team members who might have different skill sets from your own.
- You have a deep understanding of how software is built and deployed.
- Our frontend is React.js with Redux, and we have a service-orientated architecture with microservices using Node.js.
- You have very strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- You’re comfortable with participatory management and take a servant leadership approach.
- You have a track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while maintaining high levels of autonomy on your team.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $127K - $180K USD.
🏝 Work remotely (globally): Live and work anywhere in the world!
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office.
👓 Growth mindset fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year, with no upper limit.
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits. We distribute 8-15% of profits annually to the team.
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: When we can, we meet in person for company get-togethers twice per year.
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
What You Can Expect in the Hiring Process:
Step 1: Getting to know your values (async only). You'll receive an invite to your interview doc so that we can learn more the value you could bring to Buffer.
Step 2: Getting to know your role. You'll chat with Katie, our VP of Engineering, so that she can learn more about your background, experience, and achievements.
Step 3: Get to know our technologies and your background. You'll talk to Dan, our CTO, about how you've helped teams think through their technical decision making, made trade-offs, and prioritized technical requirements. This will not involve coding or white-boarding!
Step 4: Brief exercise (async only). In this step of the process, you'll showcase your managerial skills and leadership mindset.
Step 5: Getting to know your team. You'll chat with potential teammates about what it's like to be a member of the team.