We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help lead and support a development team of 8 developers, working remotely from 7 countries mainly in Europe. You are responsible of your team efficiency (QoS, delivery, RUN) and, as a manager, you will follow up your team members’ evolution. You also participate in some of the software developments tasks.
The team is a close-knit, and passionate team and care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. This is a fully remote role.
Your missions will be
- Help to lead and support the development team through regular group and 1:1 meetings
- Support the team, ensuring we communicate and achieve flow, whilst helping us iterate our processes
- Partner with PO and other engineering managers to align with objectives, priorities, tradeoffs and risk
- Organize and attend planning and retrospective meetings
- Champion remote work, documentation, and asynchronous communication
- Ensure quality standards are upheld
- Motivate developers and provide guidance on technical and non-technical challenges
- Ensure the team is fully aware of established roadmap delivery dates and work to meet them
- Contribute to development tasks such as coding, code reviews and feature verifications to assist teams with release commitments, to gain an understanding of the deeply technical product
- Help recruit and onboard new team members, from screening to interview stage, working closely with our HR team
- Report to Rail Europe’s CTO
What about the team
- We have high coding standards, follow best practices such as code review, continuous testing and delivery.
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves.
- We have been fully remote since the inception; and are strongly committed to good documentation and asynchronous communication
- Our days are not full of meetings and distractions. Allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of supporting each other.
- Our team enjoys a healthy work-life balance and don’t think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way work.
- Once a month, our hack-day allows us to learn, grow and try some news tools/skills/practices.
- We deliver into production small User Stories several times a day
- We are fully responsible of our website and each week, 1 member of the team is on call over nights and week-end.
We believe that diversity of background and experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
These are some of the characteristics we’re looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of them - we still encourage you to apply. This is what our ideal candidate might look like.
- Diploma: Master's Degree (equivalent to Bac +4/5 in France) or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience managing a team of 4+ people, ideally with remote teams
- 5+ years experience of hands-on software development
- Significant remote work experience
- Fluent in English (and in French would a bonus) and confident communicating and sharing complex information and learnings with both technical and non-technical team members
- Understand and acknowledge the importance of honest communication and strong documentation
- Demonstrate technical leadership of both people development and projects execution
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails (Coffeescript, HAML, CSS), and an ability to work on both frontend and backend
- Working experience of software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, CI/CD, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with iOS and Android deployment process
- Experience recruiting software engineers
- Empathetic and capable of building strong relationships
- Good understanding of Agile working and facilitation