Engineering Manager, Video Quality and Performance
"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 500 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
Reddit is poised to rapidly innovate and grow like no other time in its history. This is a unique opportunity to leave your mark on one of the most influential and trafficked corners of the internet.
As the Engineering Manager on Reddit’s Video Quality and Performance Team, you’ll use your engineering, infrastructure, and leadership skills to bring Redditors the best quality video on the internet. You'll collaborate with a cross-functional team to help Reddit become an efficient content-serving machine. This is a critical role for enabling Reddit's future growth plans.
What You’ll Do:
- Build, hire and lead a high-calibre team of software engineers and systems engineers.
- Design, engineer and deliver the core video infrastructure services used by all of Reddit’s products.
- Be responsible for setting and maintaining availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency SLOs.
- Lead, coordinate, and execute a coherent vision for video quality and performance that supports and enables Reddit’s growth into new product capabilities.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Set and support a culture of metrics driven quality, with efficient processes and strong transparency.
Who You Might Be:
- We are open to entry-level managers with strong technical backgrounds.
- Preferred: 2+ years experience of leading a team of software engineers, either formally or in a "tech lead" role.
- 5+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in performance or video roles.
- Experience in one or more frontend or mobile platforms
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.