Xapo is an international fintech startup on a mission to protect and grow its clients’ life savings.
We’re a fully distributed team that works remotely from 50+ countries around the world. We may come from many different cultures and backgrounds, but it’s our values, our resourcefulness, and our drive that makes us Xapiens.
We work hard, think globally, and inspire each other to grow every day. If you’re the best at what you do and share our passion, we want you.
Join us, wherever you are, and help us build a digital bank worthy of the digital age at Xapo.
We’re looking for a Head of Payment Operations.
You will lead the team responsible for payment operations and reconciliations including, but not limited to, retail payment flows (FasterPayments, BACS, SEPA, SWIFT, ACH…), Mastercard & VISA debit card activities, treasury activities, and manage related exceptions, disputes, investigations and resolutions.
This is a senior manager role where the candidate will be required to set objectives, key performance metrics, and priorities, as well as the company's payment strategies globally. The candidate will work with vendors to optimize customer experience, success rates, ensuring adherence to service level agreements, and manage the day-to-day activities performed by key partners.
Although we are headquartered in Gibraltar, this is a full time, 100% remote position. Work from anywhere!
- Lead the payment operations team to deliver high standard operational support including setting up targets, preparing deliverables, and conducting reviews to maintain agreed internal quality standards / SLAs.
- Develop and drive implementation of leading best practice back office operations strategies and processes with an actionable plan to enable the organization deliver on its objectives to its customers, in line with applicable laws and regulations.
- Drive Objective Key Results related to the department and optimise for key performance metrics for back office operations
- Articulate improvement areas and drive efficiency within the division. This needs to be done with a view towards better leverage of technology and data.
- Set up a fit-for-purpose operational framework including fully documented policies, processes & procedures, internal controls, and KPIs.
- End to end management of all VISA / MC debit card processing activities, including settlements, chargebacks, and reconciliations.
- Ensure inbound and outbound payments are reconciled against source system and bank statements on a daily basis
- Manage operational relationships with correspondent banks and other partners/vendors. Ensure adherence to guidelines and conduct due diligence on service providers
- Lead end to end investigations for all payments / debit card operational issues and exceptions ensuring the timely resolution as per agreed SLAs
- Evaluate, recommend and partner with internal and external stakeholders to develop new strategies and technologies that improve efficiency across all operational activities within scope
- Support and contribute to identifying and implementing operational efficiencies within the broader finance & treasury function
- Identify, justify and support new projects related to the overall improvement of payments operations and reconciliations, serving as a key stakeholder for all aspects of payments project life cycle (design, development, testing and implementation)
- Provide coaching and training to subordinates to build up a resilient best-in-class team
- Ensure all processes adhere to legal / regulatory requirements, internal policies and guidelines
- Support Audit, Compliance and other teams as needed
- Produce periodic cash forecasts to ensure funds are available for payment processing
- Proven track record in change management and building and scaling an operations function
- Expert knowledge of low and high-value payment clearing schemes, in particular, those around USD international cross border payments.
- Expert knowledge of SWIFT in a cross-border payments context, including MT103, MT101 and MT202 message types
- Experience of Straight Through Payment Processing and best in class systems
- Expert knowledge of handling payment exceptions and manual payments
- Experience in reconciliation between payment systems and back-office/bank statements
- Knowledge of sweeping and pooling of funds for payment processing and settlement
- Good understanding of regulatory and compliance requirements for international USD payments (BACS, FP, SEPA, SWIFT, ACH)
- Good knowledge of treasury products and activities, including but not limited to Money Market, FX spots / fwds, bonds, vanilla derivatives, sweeping and pooling of funds for payment processing and settlement
- In depth knowledge of principles, policies, and practices related to payment operations and banking, as well as expertise in digital payment processing including current industry processing models and new trends in the FinTech payment landscape.
- Personal resilience and ability to perform effectively in a high-pressure environment with a positive "can do" attitude and a positive attitude to change
- Ability to develop new policies and procedures in response to, and in anticipation of, changes in the business and regulatory environment.
- Excellent analytical, leadership, interpersonal and management skills
- Self-starter, resourceful, able to work independently and as a team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- 15+ years of operations experience including a minimum of 8 years at managerial level within a well-established bank or regulated FinTech business in Europe
- University degree in business, technology, finance, operations, or related discipline.
- A dedicated workspace.
- A reliable internet connection with the fastest speed possible in your area.
- Devices and other essential equipment that meet minimal technical specifications.
- Alignment with Our Values.
WHY WORK FOR XAPO?
IMPACT GLOBALLY, WORK REMOTELY.
- Shape the Future: Improve lives through cutting-edge technology, work 100% remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Own Your Success: Receive attractive remuneration, enjoy an autonomous work culture and flexible hours, apply your expertise to meaningful work every day.
- Expect Excellence: Collaborate, learn, and grow with a high-performance team.
We founded Xapo to address two of the biggest issues with Bitcoin adoption: accessibility and security. In a matter of years, we developed an industry-leading platform that introduced cryptocurrency into the daily lives of millions worldwide.
Now, we’re bringing our expertise to all facets of our users’ finances. Because no matter who we are or where we’re from, we all deserve more options, more control, and more peace of mind where our money is concerned.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer – we believe that diversity is critical to our success as a global company. An inclusive workplace is the foundation of Xapo – it allows us to create products that cater to clients around the world.