Elastic is a search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Infrastructure Monitoring, and Logs solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As a Mobile Agent Engineer on the APM team, you will be part of a team developing a high quality, open source APM product aimed to help fellow iOS developers instrument, debug, and monitor mobile applications. As part of the APM team, you’ll be deeply involved with multiple codebases and take on responsibilities for new features, improving the resource footprint and roadmap planning. You will also be engaging with the open source community.
You will also collaborate closely with the APM Server team when adding new features to the server API and with the UI team to ensure that we deliver the best possible experience for iOS developers.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on a daily basis over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack.
What you will be doing
- Be a founding member of the Elastic Mobile Agent team
- Develop a mobile agent for iOS developers from scratch
- The agent will be open source, so the job includes handling community pull requests, issues, etc.
- Collaborate with APM Server and UI teams to ensure the best experience possible for iOS developers
- Building demo applications highlighting Elastic APM capabilities
What you will bring along
- 3+ years of professional and in-depth experience withiOS, possessing broad knowledge of the iOS ecosystem
- Demonstrated record of shipping production quality Objective-C and Swift code
- Previous experience developing APM products or optimization related code. e.g.
- You have worked on developing an APM product
- You have developed or contributed to performance-oriented iOS tooling
- You have used an APM product extensively for crash reporting, real user monitoring
- You know and care about writing performant code for iOS devices and have traced and fixed performance issues yourself.
- Experience with and interest in going deep on advanced topics such as memory management, benchmarking, and profiling.
- Ability to work independently in a globally distributed team.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.