The Managing Editor is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing the overall content strategy for Self-Publishing School’s family of websites that get over 650,000 visitors a month.
Your job is to create and oversee the cohesive strategy, production, and quality of content for each of Self-Publishing School’s family of websites, with the ultimate goal of lead generation for Self-Publishing School.
This is done by crafting a unique but complimentary content strategy for each of Self-Publishing School’s secondary websites, finding and managing freelance writers for high quality content creation, and developing and managing detailed content schedules for consistent publication.
This role is broken into two parts:
- Content Strategy
- Content Management & Creation
This role will be accountable for the following KPIs:
- Content Quality
- Content Frequency
- SPS leads generated from family of sites
You MUST be:
- Ready to learn, be challenged, and grow a ton
- A self-starter who is obsessed with continuous improvement
- Uniquely wired with both the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager
- Able to suggest ideas for stories and see them through to publication
- Organized, detail-oriented, and exceptional at taking a project from conception to implementation with multiple moving parts and stakeholders
- An experienced strategist who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty, be scrappy, and execute quickly
- A systems thinker and process-oriented professional who understands the role marketing plays in the organization as a whole
- Ready for a challenge and excited to take ownership of the content strategy for multiple brands
NOTE: This position is full-time and virtual. Meaning you can work from anywhere. The team here at SPS is located around the world, with the majority of us in North America. Preference for this position is someone working in the US or Canada.
DISQUALIFIERS: Please DO NOT apply to this position if you:
- Have no interest in books (and using books to change people’s lives)
- Have less than 3 years of experience as a managing editor or in a similar role
- Are intimidated by analytics, KPIs, and aggressive growth goals
- Have no working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and on-page SEO best practices
- Prefer the status quo and have no appetite for innovation
- Lack organization and project management skills
- Struggle to create short-term or long-term strategies and project plans
- Are afraid to roll up your sleeves alongside the team to get the job done
If none of these things can be said of you, then please continue reading…
- Develop unique overarching content strategy for each site based on avatar and buyer’s journey
- Manage creation and updating of all content on SPS secondary websites (including but not limited to blog posts, home pages, product pages, testimonial pages, etc.)
- Produce monthly content strategy for each site based on traffic growth opportunities and industry trends
- Hire and manage freelance writers for consistent blog posts on all sites
- Manage monthly content production schedule for timeliness of delivery and publication
- Edit content pieces to ensure Best is the Standard quality
- Partner with SEO and CRO resources to increase ranking and conversion of content
At Self Publishing School, we value work ethic, coachability, and past results you’ve delivered significantly more than your degree (or lack thereof), GPA, etc.
Have you delivered results in a similar role in the past? If so, that’s what we’re looking for.
That being said, feel free to apply even if you don’t “tick the boxes” below. Just be sure to mention that in your application + why we should consider you.
- 3-4 years proven experience as managing editor or in a similar role
- Strong writer with the ability to effectively communicate based on avatar and objective
- Excellent organizational and leadership qualities
- Ability to plan and coordinate both people and operations to accomplish a goal
- Creativity and a talent for developing original content that provokes engagement
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate across all aspects of the business
- High attention to detail
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
- Experience managing content for multiple websites and brands at one time
- Experience with writing content to rank on search engines and coaching a team of writers to do the same
- Proven track record of month over month lead and revenue growth for multiple websites
- Solid understanding of performance marketing, website conversion, and online inbound customer acquisition
Yearly salary of $60,000-$100,000; depending on qualification and experience.
Also includes the following benefits:
- Top tier healthcare: your choice of high quality healthcare (for US-based full-time employees)
- Bi-weekly house cleaning: get your house cleaned every two weeks, on the company! : )
- Work remotely: save $5k/year in commuting costs and 100+ hrs each year (aka. 2 ½ extra weeks of “time off”)
- Bonus structure: earn quarterly incentives based on hitting team goals
ABOUT SELF-PUBLISHING SCHOOL:
Self-Publishing School is an online education company that teaches people how to write, market & publish their first book in as little as 90 days.
We provide people with more opportunities, confidence & income through publishing a book.
Our program is by far the best on the market which is why we have one of the highest student success rates of any online training company. We genuinely care about the success of our students and provide a great avenue for them to be successful.
Our company is driven by 2 unique viewpoints:
- It’s not about the book. It’s about what the book does for you. We believe that “Books Change Lives” and we believe in the power of “Leveraged Impact” (changing lives through books)
- In going through the process, our students learn a lot about themselves and conquer fears, challenges & limiting beliefs they never knew existed.
They’re also surprised by all of the opportunities that pop up once their book is out in the world.
The purpose of our company is to disrupt the publishing industry and show people that self publishing is not only an option, it’s the BEST option.
The publishing industry is broken. Big publishers are antiquated and inefficient. They take advantage of the people doing the hard work…the authors. Our company exists to show people there is a better way…
…a way that doesn’t involve: using a publisher, wasting 2 years of your life, giving away all of your creative liberties, giving away all of your book royalties, and relying on a publisher that doesn’t do any marketing for your book.
Self Publishing School made the INC 5000 in 2018 (#2,699), in 2019 (#1,483), and in 2020 (#1,944) as one of the 5,000 fastest-growing private companies in the US.
As we always say, “the best is yet to come”. We’re excited to continue climbing & growing thanks to our incredible team & customers.