CoinDesk is an integrated media platform for the next generation of investing, exploring how cryptocurrencies and digital assets are contributing to the evolution of the global financial system and the future of money. Our vision is to be the most influential, trusted media platform for a growing global community engaged in the transformation of the financial system and the emerging crypto economy.
CoinDesk is a quickly growing company with incredible ambition. Our global presence has grown exponentially through top quality journalism, events and data, creating a community for millions of users. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of creative, forward-thinking individuals.
As a news editor, you will be a player/coach as well as serve as the news equivalent of air traffic control for CoinDesk, serving as a bridge between the U.S. and Asia coverage hours.
Your mission: to ensure CoinDesk readers are fully up to date whenever and wherever something happens in the cryptocurrency industry, and that all content is accurate, punctual and written in CoinDesk style.
You could be dealing with a market story one minute, a scoop the next, and spotting a key fact in a central bank statement the minute after that, all while shepherding an embargo in the meantime. A news hound, traffic cop, writer and editor all combined in one person who plays well with others, takes ownership, communicates clearly, and thrives on winning.
- Assign and frequently write breaking news and embargoed articles.
- Scan regulatory and court filings, calendars, the market, on-chain data, news outlets, blogs, websites, social media, online forums and other information sources for story leads, assigning or writing as appropriate.
- Pay attention to global macroeconomic trends in the regions as well as crypto-adjacent areas to be able to anticipate effects on the cryptocurrency sector.
- Learn to edit/write concise, sophisticated breaking news pieces with a voice. The pieces will not only explain what happened but tell the reader why it matters and how it fits in with the overall picture.
- When necessary be able to assign and edit stories in narrative form.
- Ensure coverage of relevant events such as earnings by West Coast-based tech companies for any crypto-adjacent news
- Edit and occasionally co-write market updates, working hand-in-glove with market teams in other regions.
- Spot, assign and upon occasion write about market moves.
- Liaise with the beat desks to ensure comprehensive news coverage.
- Focus on finding actionable trends to make our content as valuable to readers as possible.
- Help maintain a calendar of upcoming events. Analyze coverage misses to ensure they don’t happen again.
The ideal candidate has at least seven years of journalism experience and familiarity with cryptocurrency and related technologies. Experience covering the sector or equities markets is strongly preferred. You are a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, a nose for news, and a can-do/collaborative attitude who can both edit and write clear, concise copy on tight deadlines. You plan well for the things that can be anticipated and react quickly to the things that can’t.
Location & Shift:
Ideal location anywhere in the Pacific Time Zone. Shift would begin at 9-11 a.m. PT