Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify eCommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is expanding our Apps team and looking for a QA Specialist with experience designing and running testing plans for apps. As our QA Specialist, you’ll work in a key position where your work will have a noticeable impact on both the company and product. If you’re looking for the opportunity to take ownership of our testing process and uphold our reputation for top quality apps, please reach out today!
Reporting to our Head of Development in Apps, you’ll be accountable for testing our software, ensuring high-quality work from our team, and ensuring our merchants have a fantastic experience with our products. You’ll be working at the feature level while also improving our team’s tools and abilities.
Success in this role requires leaving no stone unturned when it comes to planning and executing tests. You’ll focus on continuous improvement in both the development and testing sides of apps. Your ability to adapt to change and a desire to produce high-quality apps for our merchants is a key driver of success. We’re looking for someone who takes a collaborative approach to development and who isn’t afraid to jump in to ensure testing, testability, and app quality are all valued from start to finish.
As a Pixel Union QA Specialist, you'll…
- Design testing plans and documentation for app functionality
- Identify issues early on in the process of app development and ensure our work is testable from early stages
- Develop and execute test cases using both automated and manual testing
- Perform exploratory testing to catch issues early on and identify defects that might be missed with standard test cases
- Communicate feedback and issues in a constructive, solution-oriented way, ultimately decreasing the number of issues our merchants and support team encounter
- Be responsible for our testing processes and tools, ensuring that we are using the best tools available to serve our merchants
- Represent our merchant’s perspective when collaborating with our apps development team
You'll use your skills and experience in...
- QA testing, leveraging your experience managing and performing testing for web app development projects (or equivalent transferable skills or education)
- Web-related technical skills (API testing tools, HTML, JS, Browser debugging)
- Creating test coverage plans for new features, bug fixes, and ongoing maintenance
- Creating testing data and test documentation
- Attention to detail when designing tests, testing protocols, and running tests
- Understanding complex app features/systems
- Collaboration and communication, using both written and verbal communication skills to get your perspective across and to manage multiple projects and tasks at once
If you have these skills, that's a huge plus!
- Experience working with Shopify in any capacity
- Experience writing tests for eCommerce apps
- Experience working with, or writing specs in Gherkin
- Experience working in technical support
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!Benefits
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork and employee well-being. We work hard, push our limits, and enjoy ourselves around fun, good people on challenging and rewarding tasks.
Some of our perks include:
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored fitness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. We welcome team members to join us remotely, or in our Victoria HQ. Our remote team can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle. As long as you have a strong internet connection, you’ll be all set to join this dynamic team!
Please note that we will be filling this position within Canada. We look forward to hearing from you!