Hypothesis is seeking an experienced Sales Rep to immediately join our growing team to address the rapidly expanding demand from academic institutions, departments, faculty and students for our social annotation tool that improves teaching and learning by impacting the quantity and quality of student reading, facilitating instructor to student and peer to peer collaboration, and providing instructors and administrators with previously unavailable actionable insights to support student success.
To be successful in this position, the individual must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset and a team-player attitude who has a proven track record of attaining personal sales goals and objectives, while also sharing in our larger vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven startup with financial backing from leading investors who share our vision. We are ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will take ownership of a specific sales quota, helping to fill the sales funnel by generating and following up on leads, and supporting the company’s overall sales cycle and sales business processes.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Lead generation through both inbound and outbound calls, emails, campaigns, and other business development techniques to fill the sales pipeline
- Conversion of leads from cold to warm utilizing effective scripts and other sales techniques
- Effectively communicate with people that are interested in learning more about Hypothesis, its features and its benefits
- Troubleshooting inquiries from prospective customers
- Track your performance to sales goals using Hubspot CRM and provide regular progress reports to Management. Make course corrections as needed to overcome obstacles preventing achievement of goals
- Engage deeply and directly with Hypothesis technologies to establish and maintain a working knowledge of the digital annotation product
- Work with a multi-functional team and communicate proactively to resolve issues
- Work with our Sales and Marketing team to support Hypothesis implementations, onboarding, and expanded use
This role reports to the Vice President, Education.
You are someone who is able to work with customers to find what they want, create solutions and ensure a smooth sales process. You work to find new sales leads through business directories, client referrals, and other sources, and are friendly, well-spoken and ready to close the deal. You are tenacious and resilient in achieving your goals and objectives.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Agility to thrive at an early-stage company and within an evolving sales program
- A background selling technology into the education marketplace, both to instructors and institutions, and an understanding of the market trends and budgetary processes within the education industry
- Demonstrated success achieving revenue goals in an inside sales capacity, preferably in the education marketplace filling and working a sales pipeline
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role with an understanding of the sales cycle
- Tech-savvy: able to speak to customers clearly and concisely about our product’s features and benefits
- Excellent communication skills and a level of comfort making cold calls
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems
- Accustomed to using HubSpot or a comparable CRM to track progress against goals.
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
- Are committed to excellence and improvement
- Are a dedicated team player
- Have previous remote work experience
- Have strong time management and communication skills
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Can communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues (especially important in a remote organization)
- Have an approach to your work that allows for growth and change