We’re a tech company that’s changing how people bank and think about their finances. We value empathy, curiosity, craft and efficacy. Our mission is to help people feel confident with their money. We do that by bringing humanity, elegance and ease to the consumer banking experience. And we make banking beautiful.
As an engineer on the Product Security team, you’ll be responsible for making sure that the products that Simple ships to our customers are secure. Safety isn’t a static, unchanging concept. Rather, a safe product is well-designed, has had a lot of craft put into its’ design and delivery, and is unlikely to have critical security vulnerabilities.
On a day to day basis you will be working closely with our software engineers and other product security engineers to help impact design decisions and correct security flaws as they are found. You will also conduct in-house penetration testing and code-reviews of Simple applications and platform and develop and integrate automated solutions for conducting these tests.
This is a experienced-level position with a high degree of autonomy - you will tackle and manage high-level security tasks in using processes that you have input in creating and maintaining. You will work closely with a variety of engineering disciplines, and will need to communicate effectively and be productive in an environment working with other engineers.
We believe strongly in metrics, testing, continuous integration, and working fluidly and harmoniously with our engineering and product teams. We take security very, very seriously.
As a Senior Engineer, you will take on a technical leadership role for the security domain. Your vision will be key in defining how Security Engineering operates at Simple. You will mentor your coworkers, evaluate how our current systems and approach can be improved, and architect systems that improve our overall security posture.
You will be successful in this role if you are passionate about security and continuously seek ways to improve your craft. You believe that security is more of a concept than an organization and it is your mission to foster that culture across team boundaries. You have long term plans to eliminate risk and are able to seek out the highest value mitigations first. You are able to demonstrate easily whether something is vulnerable or not and educate your peers on the best methods for mitigation.
What You’ll Do All Day:
- Perform security assessments of existing and newly developed Simple features and products. Clearly communicate identified vulnerabilities and identify new assessment techniques to prevent them in the future. Document comprehensive reports on the assessment effort and discovered vulnerabilities.
- Leverage automated security analysis tools and integrate them within our development workflow. Work to improve the accuracy and coverage of these tools.
- Provide consultation to engineering teams on technical security decisions including architecture, design, code, testing strategy, threat modeling, and triage of security bugs.
- Mentor fellow security engineers.
- Write documents that clearly describe both the behavior of existing systems, and provide a roadmap for where we should go in the future.
- Review and triage bug bounty submissions, reproduce vulnerabilities, determine and execute appropriate payouts.
- Provide training to engineering on relevant security topics including facilitation of capture the flag events and/or monthly training lunch and learns.
- Participate in on-call rotation and respond to security-related incidents.
We’d Like To See:
- Knowledge of security flaws and their resolution as listed in sites like OWASP, SANS, etc.
- Experience with secure application architecture, design, development, code review, and penetration testing of web and mobile applications
- Experience developing automated security testing solutions with the ability to integrate into engineering tools such as Github, Jenkins, or other continuous integration tools.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language, such as Python or Ruby.
- Experience with JVM based languages
- Familiarity with cloud security, especially as it relates to AWS.
- Understanding of cryptography, including protocols, key management, encryption and hashing methods.
- Experience writing vulnerability reports and communicating their technical details and security impact to developers and management.
- Experience with security and engineering tools such as Burp Suite, sqlmap, wireshark, Apache mod_security or other WAF solutions, Threat Stack, Jenkins, and Git.
- Experience managing bug bounty programs
Come As You Are:
We recognize the dire lack of diversity in our industry, and we’re not okay with it. We actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention practices, as well as our office culture. Our culture isn’t something employees join, it’s something they build and shape. We believe that every person and their lived experience is integral to building a work environment, and a product that will change the world. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, we say go for it, and apply!
Why Simple’s a Great Place to Work:
- Competitive salary and inclusive benefits package, including 4-months of 100% paid parental leave, additional PTO for volunteer & advocacy days, and affordable health insurance for partners & families.
- A supportive and nurturing place to work. We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels psychologically safe to take risks and think outside of the box here. Our dog-friendly space provides a wellness room, adjustable desks & ergonomic chairs, monthly on-site acupuncture & massages, all gender restrooms, and dietary & allergy conscious catering.
- Ample opportunity to connect with your coworkers through company-funded Employee Resource Groups & Simple community events.
- We’re committed to hiring quality human beings. Simple is a place where others will watch out for you and help you learn. We like and respect one another.
- We believe that financial confidence belongs to everyone - and we will work to remove every barrier along the way. We sweat the small stuff, and build with intention.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Email our team at email@example.com if you need an accommodation in the application process.
A background check will be required for this opportunity. We encourage all applicants to apply, regardless of their history.
Simple provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Simple complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you are a California resident, please reference our California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) Privacy Statement.
By submitting this application, you certify that the facts contained in your application are true and complete to the best of your knowledge. If you are employed, false statements on your application will be grounds for termination.