As a Senior Frontend Engineer you will be on the frontline of creating and further enhancing the user experience of Authory, a platform that thousands of writers, journalists and thought leaders around the world are using every single day.
We are a very small team with a focus on quality and excellence in turning the tremendous amount of data that is behind Authory into an accessible, beautiful and meaningful product. You will be responsible for small and large projects, and take them from planning to completion. You will be our first full-time hire for this position, with the option of leading our future frontend team.
We are a remote first company. We value your integrity, autonomy and willingness to learn and share as a team above everything else.
The way we work
You can work from anywhere you like. We have a small headquarter office in Hamburg (Germany) but our team is completely remote and works from the UK, Germany and Sweden currently. Your working hours are flexible.
The technologies and concepts you will work with
- A number of features are highly complex, and demand robust application state management.
- We pride ourselves in rigorous testing and quality assurance. Creating reliable software is more important to us than using the latest frameworks.
- The entire frontend of Authory is carefully crafted to provide a fast, responsive, and accessible user experience. Authory is designed mobile-first.
The work to be done
Your work is the incredibly important link between our customers and the complex backend that's the core of the Authory platform. What you will do affects thousands of journalists, writers and bloggers who use Authory every single day.
- You will have the opportunity to design a holistic and robust application architecture and then lead a gradual transition to this new architecture.
- You will implement new and powerful UI/UX features in an elegant, yet efficient manner. For this, you'll create concepts for accessibility and responsiveness.
- Find solutions that enable our users to work with complex data in an intuitive and surprisingly easy way.
- Optionally, you are welcome to check out some backend and AI work too, if you are looking to expand you skillset in that direction.
First and foremost, you are self-motivated and self-directed. This implies that you take real ownership of your work and see it through from start to finish, understanding that you are responsible for tackling and clearing any obstacles in the way, with the help of the entire team of course. At Authory, true ownership means that you own the losses just as much as the wins, and both will naturally occur.
Beyond these fundamental qualities, you are:
- Focussed on code quality and have the discipline to test your changes thoroughly.
- Open to giving and receiving honest feedback.
- Consider mistakes as an opportunity to learn and have a "growth mindset".
- Ready to discuss possible solutions and different approaches to a problem.
- You share a passion for content creators, our customers. Either because you create content yourself or because you are passionately consuming it.
- Remote work (you can work from anywhere since we are fully remote)
- Flexible work hours
- 25 days vacation per year
- Generous compensation
- Option to become leader for the future frontend team
- Truly meaningful work. You are honing a product that a truly important part of our society (writers and journalists) relies on every single day.
Even though this is a remote position, your regular working day must have an overlap of 4 hours or more with CET (UTC+1) from Monday to Friday.
The hiring process
We want to be very open about the way the hiring process works, so you know exactly what to expect.
Stage 1: Initial Application & Questions
You'll send us your basic info that we ask for in the application form. If we believe you could be a good fit, we'll schedule an initial call where we discuss your background in more detail.
Stage 2: Technical Interview
The purpose of this interview is to dive deeper into your technical skillset and understand the way you approach and solve problems. After the interview, you'll get a test project that will give us an idea of your approach to problem solving. This test project is meant to be completed in your own time and can take up to a few hours.
Stage 3: Technical Review
During this call, we'll discuss your test project in detail.
Stage 4: Culture Interview
This call will take place with both founders. We'll discuss what your goals are, how they could be fulfilled at Authory and what our company culture is like.
Stage 5: Job Offer
After consulting a few of your references, we’ll make you an offer!
Authory enables writers, journalists, bloggers and all kinds of thought leaders to take control of their articles, build their own audience and advance their career — regardless of where they publish.
Founded in 2017, we are dedicated to helping writers (and in the future all kinds of content creators) to become more independent and succeed in the challenging environment of online media.
Our platform is used by 1,000s of writers every day, among them journalists for The New York Times, The Economist, TechCrunch, CNN and many more.
Learn more about Authory at authory.com