Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our exciting and fast-moving new effort - Project Catalog™. This is Upwork’s newest way for businesses and independent talent to work together instantly and is part of an ongoing innovation and expansion of the Upwork experience. Project Catalog is a curated collection of pre-scoped projects easily purchased via an e-commerce click and buy experience. The Project Catalog team is rapidly growing to build this new marketplace from the ground up! As a designer joining our project in this early phase, you’ll get to work on a dynamic team of designers, PMs, and developers, and will have a huge impact on the vision for this new space.
In this role, you’ll dig into user challenges, define mental models, and uncover ways to provide engaging, intuitive, and high quality user experiences. You’ll also support our mission of creating economic opportunities so people have better lives – and at a time when this is more urgent than ever.
What you’ll do:
- Define and design delightful experiences that our customers love and tell their peers about!
- Collaborate with our user researchers, product managers, data scientists, developers, and fellow designers to frame problems and take ideas from concept through implementation
- Demonstrate high quality design practices by ensuring decisions are made with appropriate user insight.
- Work with our existing UX/UI design patterns and make well-informed decisions when developing new patterns
- Create designs that are flexible across multiple platforms from desktop to mobile.
- Care about quality and the fine details of our product design, producing attractive solutions that inspire trust, connection, and joy
- Lead the design process end-to-end: strategy, research, concepts, information architecture, interaction design, launch and testing
- Work iteratively and quickly, moving between a lightweight vision and shippable, steel thread designs
- Communicate and share your concepts to a broad range of partners, ranging from strategy and experience concepts to detailed design systems and assets
- Work shoulder to shoulder (metaphorically) with developers to deliver the polished final product
- Further strengthen our design team through mentorship, design critiques and knowledge sharing.
What we hope to see:
- You know your users well and keep them and their goals at the heart of everything you do.
- You are curious and innovative. You ask “what if” and explore multiple angles and possibilities.
- You are a team player. You believe we are stronger together and are energized when you’re in a room (a virtual room) with smart, opinionated people.
- You care about quality and design details. You produce pixel tight, attractive work that other companies will look to emulate.
- You have a growth mindset. You’re always looking to expand your knowledge of your field and your users.
- Experience designing flexible, responsive UIs that are elegant for both desktop and mobile
- A strong work ethic and a readiness to focus and commit. You can lead a project from start to finish and passionately pursue high-quality designs that deliver memorable experiences that users will love!
- Solving thorny problems is why you get up in the morning. You can clearly demonstrate your problem-solving process -- tell a story of how you went from a business or user need through to a successful outcome.
- You’re a self-motivated, excellent communicator, able to balance quality work with fast turnaround.
- You assume the best in people and treat everyone with kindness and respect.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.