Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Release Engineer
The Release Engineering team is responsible for software deployments and tooling development on Fastly’s cache fleet. We are looking for a Senior Release Engineer to join our team who is excited to work in a collaborative and fast-paced agile environment, is proactive and is passionate about automation. You will play a key role to transform our tooling service with our goal of automation and self-service.
What You'll Do
- Coordinate and Schedule our software deployments for Fastly’s cache fleet.
- Design and implement software improvements to our existing tooling services to help us automate our deployments.
- Partner with engineering teams to build scalable tools and infrastructure to release software that is reliable, safe, sustainable, and secure.
- Evolve practices around software deployment processes.
- Iterate on improvements to engineering best practices in a collaborative environment.
- Mentor fellow engineers and share your knowledge, views, and experience.
What We're Looking For
- You should have experience writing clear and maintainable software with Go and be proficient with Linux systems.
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience in software engineering, release engineering, and/or configuration management, even better if you have built services from the ground-up.
- Friendly, approachable responder to regular inquiries from individuals across the wider Org.
- Experience designing and developing software in Go.
- Familiarity with tools and technologies like Git, Jenkins, Chef, Prometheus, and Splunk.
- Experience leading the development of platform solutions.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate as a lead on projects (champion, demo, and pitch).
- An analytical thinker with strong attention to detail.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience in SOME of these:
- Scripting in one of the languages such as perl, python, and ruby is a plus.
- Comfort working and communicating in distributed teams across time zones.
- Excellent presentation skills for both internal and external conferences.
- Agile delivery methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, and Lean.
- Proficiency analyzing and debugging large-scale distributed systems.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!