Change.org is searching for a Senior Software Engineer to join a new team specializing in building localized solutions on the Change.org platform for key developing countries across Asia, Latin America, and Africa.
Change.org is the largest tech platform focused on civic action in the world with 100m monthly users, 50,000 campaigns launched on the site every month, staff in over a dozen countries, and a user-driven revenue model that is scaling rapidly. Our model is a proven engine for social change and citizen leadership, with incredible potential for growth. Our users win campaigns for change once every hour -- from strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; to fighting violence against women in India -- and our product development work is all about putting more power in the hands of our users so they can win their campaigns for change.
This team is passionate about enabling users in emerging markets, and we hope you are too. Your work will directly impact the accessibility and usability of the Change.org platform for millions of people -- making our campaign tools more powerful and enabling microdonations at scale, with a focus on figuring out how to do this for users in non-Western democracies.
We’re looking for someone who can work effectively at scale, manage their own priorities and make progress with minimal supervision. Typically, Senior Software Engineers have 4-5 years of relevant engineering experience beyond coding such as monitoring, integration testing and production support.
This is a full time position that can be based anywhere, collaborating with a globally distributed team (the first of its kind at Change.org) and reporting to the Foundation's Engineering Lead who is based in Victoria, Ca.
Key responsibilities and outcomes:
- Integrate our global Payment Platform with local payment gateways to address local market needs
- Build new flows, optimize existing ones to increase the impact and quality of petitions
- Feature delivery - work with different technologies, languages, and frameworks in all layers of the web stack, from front-end to back-end to infrastructure as code
- Coach, support and share knowledge with other engineers on the team
- Build a global and seamless user experience for all countries
- Ensure availability and reliability of our services in production
- Work in an agile development environment (Kanban, iterative development, short release cycles)
- Drive best engineering practices
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy
- Code, Test, Review, Deploy!
- 4-5 years of relevant engineering experience
- Strong communication skills, must be proficient in English (both written and verbal)
- Full stack development experience — confident and self-sufficient with different technologies, languages and frameworks in all layers of the webstack, from frontend to backend to database
- Experience in designing and building scalable and distributed systems including microservices.
- Experience with agile methodologies and fast development cycles
- Able to collaborate productively remotely and across time zones
- Experience applying security best practices during development
Nice to haves, experience with:
- Payment gateways such as Stripe, Braintree, Adyen or any gateway aggregator — bonus points if you’ve worked on global payments
- Containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Event Driven Architecture
You will be working on an exciting, modern stack:
- Reactjs front-end using GraphQL to fetch data
- Microservices architecture with services written in languages such as: Nodejs, Ruby/Rails, Elixir
- Datastores: Postgres (Aurora), redis, Cassandra
- 100% cloud based through AWS
- Moving towards Event Driven Architecture
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full time role based anywhere in the world. The Change.org Foundation is a global company, and salaries are adjusted for cost of labor in each city. The compensation for this role will include:
- extended medical benefits
- 5 weeks paid time off
- 18 weeks parental leave
You will be working as part of our global product team, with colleagues around the world. Candidate must be a self starter, committed to our mission and excited to join an ambitious, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment. Our team is high impact, low ego, and has an amazing culture to be part of!
The evaluation process will be as follows:
- 30 minute initial interview with a member of the PD recruitment team
- 3 hr take home assignment
- 1 hour interview with Engineering Lead and a Product Manager
- 1 hour interview with a panel of engineers you’ll be working with more closely
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We’re actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us.