In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in the US, the UK, Spain, Ireland, France, Italy and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a seasoned QA engineer that approaches testing and feature validation with an engineering mindset. Working closely with our Product organization, you should be comfortable setting up test plans for new features and validating that things are working as expected before we roll them out to customers. You will also assist our internal users in our Product, Support and Growth functions get early access to new version of our App so they can help test and spot issues as well. This will include working with our platform engineers to spin up beta-test environments.While a large chunk of this role is validating features before they hit our customers, we are looking for someone that is comfortable implementing testing automation and ensuring that we don’t have regressions as we make app. We can improve on our testing — we’re hoping that you can help us decide what to invest in!ABOUT THE TEAM
- The product engineering team is responsible for both our native iOS and Android clients and our python backend, including APIs, transaction delivery, performance, and support tools.
- Engineering at Sendwave is split between 5 teams (Finance, Risk, Growth and Engagement, Delivery, Policy and Identity). We’re 25 engineers and hope to add more by the end of the year.
- Engineers at Sendwave work with Product to support all of our other teams including our Customer Service, Growth, Finance and many more areas of the company.
DAY TO DAY ROLES WOULD INCLUDE
- Working with Product and Growth to test features before they get in front of our customers:
- Understanding and refining Acceptance Criteria with product.
- Testing “unhappy” paths in our App to identify errors or bugs in our flows, UI and translations.
- Working with vendors, Growth and Support to manage our App translations as we add new countries.
- Working with out engineers to:
- Automate as much of our testing as possible to prevent regressions from occurring.
- Working with our platform engineers to make it easy to set up one-off environments for new features to be tested by beta users.
- Paying attention to our telemetry to spot trends and gaps in the way our system behaves.
- While the focus of this role will be functional testing, we would love to automate away enough of the toil to also allow you to help out with non-functional testing needs too!
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience, ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment with a focus on testing and automation.
- A strong preference for folks familiar testing with mobile clients and rest backends.
- Solid understanding of Python or another scripting language. Our backend is 95% Python.
- Experience with testing on all layers of the stack (Unit, Integration and End-2-End).
- BDD testing is a plus (e.g. Cucumber or Cucumber-like frameworks). We don’t have these yet but will likely want them in the future.
- A willingness to manual test a lot early on until we can make the investments to move more of the testing into code.
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks / year
BONUS POINTS IF YOU
- Have worked at a startup before and have done QA and test automation work.
- Are comfortable working across several platforms and technologies.
- Our company is 100% remote. We are able to employ people based in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium, and Senegal.
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excited to deeply understand the inner workings of the tools you use.
- Push through hard problems without giving up.
- Are not afraid to take on complicated systems.
- Reflexively ask yourself, “how will this code change affect my users?”
- Can communicate clearly with colleagues who work, speak and think differently.
- Work to make things easier for the next engineer who will touch your code.
- Always try to improve as a programmer and colleague.
- Our team of 40-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 70 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2019, we've been to San Juan, PR (USA), Dakar (Senegal), Montreal, QC (Canada) and Estes Park, CO (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.