Mmhmm is a new company from All Turtles that creates clear, compelling communications via video. Mmhmm helps people create a unique personal video presence and beautifully share content in a variety of contexts, from remote work, to online learning, to virtual events, or even just socializing.
As a Staff Backend Engineer at mmhmm, you’ll work as part of a small cross-functional team of engineers and designers to create the next generation of features for our product. While your day-to-day responsibilities will focus on development of backend APIs, systems and infrastructure, you’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to the product definition and design and the overall system architecture.
You’re the right person for this job if you love to work on small, autonomous teams, take pride in the quality of both the code and products that you create, crave variety in your work, and are comfortable working in any part of the server-side stack.
YOU'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Driving design and development of the mmhmm service, with an eye toward the security and privacy of user data and the scalability of the system.
- Building both quick prototypes and robust production systems.
- Planning and coordinating with application engineers who will be consuming your services.
- Helping to set the technical direction for the service backend, including choosing new components of the tech stack, evolving the service architecture and defining client-facing APIs.
- Deployment, operations and monitoring of your services.
IDEALLY, YOU'LL HAVE:
- Spent at least 10 years in professional software engineering roles.
- Built complex, cloud-native product backends from scratch.
- Strong backend engineering skills, including API and database design, security, scalability and data engineering.
- Deep experience with AWS and serverless application architectures.
- Experience programming in Go.
- Experience with both relational and NoSQL databases.
- Exceptional communication skills, with an aptitude to convey clear thoughts and ideas.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Experience with streaming video. This is a plus, but not required.
The Staff Backend Engineer is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the CTO. This role is a remote position, and can be based in any location. Since our distributed team works primarily across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive insurance benefits to our employees and their qualifying dependents, in addition to flexible vacation, a 401(k), parental leave, and a suite of optional benefits and perks programs.
All Turtles and mmhmm are committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.