Our company's mission is to enable people to trust each other at scale.
Problem we're solving
Social media is broken because users cannot easily move between platforms. Each platform is a silo; they have their own stacks, which are largely incompatible with each other.
An interoperable social stack. Layers instead of silos. Users can easily move between platforms without losing their followers.
What we're building
We are building the two bottom layers of that stack, i.e. a universal social graph and a decentralized ranking algorithm. We are also building the first UI for this new social stack – hive.one.
We are a small, VC-funded startup. We are a remote-first team. Most of the team is based in Europe (Berlin, London, Milan). You can make your own hours, but everybody is expected to be online during office hours in CET. We try to meet in person and work together for several days at least every 3 months. Other than that the company ‘lives’ in Slack, Notion and other tools enabling effective communication.
The job is full time permanent. If you work from Germany, you will get an employment contract. If you work from somewhere else in the world, you will work as a freelancer, and need to fulfill the legal requirements for freelancing in your country. We are also happy to sponsor a work visa if you would like to move to Germany.
If you work from Berlin, you can work from our Berlin office, located in Mitte.
About This Role
We are looking for a tech lead to take charge of a growing team of 2 (soon 3) software engineers
This is a young and motivated team ripe for a strong tech lead to take ownership and build strong workflows and processes with plans for fast growth in the next 12-18 months
You will lead our team which is responsible for:
- Developing most of our core features (along side our algorithm team)
- Managing our infrastructure
- Managing our API's
Our Tech Stack:
- Micro-services based architecture deployed on AWS
- Protocol Buffers and gRPC
It's okay if you don't have experience with everything here, we would expect you to have enough experience to pick things up relatively quickly
- You'll be responsible for week-to-week planning of your team and keeping each member accountable
- You'll be working with our CEO and the head of the Algorithm team to translate high-level ideas into projects/tasks
- As a tech lead, part of your role is to be a people manager
- You’ll be expected to drive technical direction in projects and assure they meet scalability and robustness requirements
- You'll be hands-on on projects, getting deep into code and be looked upon as the senior authority in software development tasks, projects, Etc
- You'll be responsible for hiring for your team
- You'll be responsible for communicating and planning between other teams
- Wide experience building scalable applications
- Experience with most of the tools in our stack
- Experience leading remote development teams in the past
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- You enjoy writing documentation and understand why it's valuable
- A self starter - You can come up with ideas and implement them yourself
- You are a bar raiser - If you see others around you being lazy or slacking, instead of joining in you push back
Great to have
- Mathematical background
- Interest in the Crypto space
Things we care about
- You use precise language and you insist that others do too
- You care about the tiny details (Performance, A11Y etc.)
EUR 60,000 - 80,000 per year
Equity 0.14 - 0.18 %