We are a team of consumer internet, gaming and infrastructure veterans redefining how people feel present with each other online We believe that merging a shared canvas for activities with fluid communication can unlock new ways for people to bond and create lasting memories together, anytime, from anywhere We're backed by $43M+ from the world's best investors including Benchmark, Index, Kleiner Perkins, First Round and Disney
The ideal candidate for this role will be a seasoned visual designer. With a keen eye for elegant, modern design, and UI patterns. You think holistically, and craft the "why" of all that we ship – advocating for your design solutions by putting them in context of business and customer goals.
Experience with illustration, playful mobile UI, and visual identity development are all desired, as this position will touch upon all of those areas.
How do I know if this is for me?
You are user action orientated
You have a portfolio that demonstrates years of customer-obsessed problem solving across web and mobile. We are deeply interested in designers who love untangling hard conceptual problems and have sharp intuition for how people use (or wish they could use) our product.
You obsess over the details
You have a mastery of visual design and the larger design system that relies on it. You consider how the interface you work within evolves with each new component and feature we add across all platforms.
You are quick to capture, conceptualize and iterate on ideas
You are familiar with and comfortable generating rapid concepts, mood boards, user flows and prototypes. You can drive the creative review cycle, craft innovative design solutions, and elevate the visual experience for our end customers.
- You will develop a visual design style that works with our emerging brand and deliver polished assets that integrate into our product.
- You will create pixel perfect assets of various types for web, and mobile.
- You will dive into research, ideate, and help envision the future as we bring people together in valuable new ways to connect, bond and play.
- You will present and communicate your designs to the team and the greater organization to build consensus around your concepts.
- You will create wire-frames, beautiful mockups, amazing prototypes, and help implement your designs to pixel perfection.
- You will test, learn, and iterate on everything you do alongside product peers.
- You will work closely with Engineering, Product, Game Designers, Marketing and their peers to move a project from concept to go-to-market.
- You will help maintain and commit to our Design pattern library.
- You have 5+ years leading visual design on a live product (either as a team lead, or as a solo designer).
- You have a portfolio highlighting multiple projects across web and mobile, while demonstrating your direct contribution.
- You can demonstrate your proficiency solving challenging visual design problems across various styles, with a focus on high polish, delightful touches and thoughtful UI.
- You have experience collaborating with multidisciplinary peers and/or product teams (engineers/developers, motion, interaction, UXR, engineering, content strategy) on design implementation.
- You have experience extending a visual identity or brand style into the product (UI).
- You have proven experience implementing visual design systems across a range of platforms in an iterative software development environment.
- You have HTML/CSS or JS experience.
- You enjoy the marketing and branding side of design work, where building cool stuff is as important as telling the world why our users think that stuff is cool!
- You are an active gamer, either as a filthy casual or fully committed to that racing chair and decked out glowing RGB PC case!
Backyard (dba Ubiquity6) is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We have an inclusive workplace that supports the diverse cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, skills, and experiences of every team member. Women, minorities, queer candidates, candidates with physical or cognitive disabilities, and candidates with non-traditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are talented, passionate, and excited about building the spatial internet and a shared reality, please apply!