You may know Gatsby, the open-source project, which currently is downloaded 800k+ times/month, has nearly 50k GitHub stars, and a thriving community of 3.5K (and growing) contributors. Create blazing fast, compelling apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the Role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
Why this is interesting
Gatsby has an amazing presence in the developer community. In fact, Udemy’s latest 2020 Workplace Learning Trends Report, found that the number 1 new skill its users are most interested in is Gatsby (pretty sweet, right?). We need someone to take this momentum and run with it, making Gatsby’s technology stay in front of the curve.
Join us on our mission to help our customers create blazing fast, compelling websites and apps. We are looking for an experienced leader to scale our engineering organization as we get to product / market fit and then grow the market.
You will help us achieve operational excellence, organize for success, coach our engineering leaders, and support the insatiable demand of our customers for better ways to make building websites fun and fast.
- Significant experience managing a performance based team that is globally distributed.
- Interested in rolling up your sleeves. This often manifests as experience scaling an engineering organization at an early stage startup --- including experiencing the transition from a product targeting early-adopters to mainstream.
- Experience building and deploying a multitude of modern cloud-based tools. You’ll be managing multiple teams working on different projects and this will be key.
- Sought and elevated diverse perspectives.
- Collaborated with other executive leadership members across multiple disciplines to create products customers love.
- Preferred: Built and/or operated in an open-source or otherwise engaged community.
What You Will Do
- Build a customer-focused culture that prioritizes results over activity, allowing the engineering team to reliably deliver high-quality features and products.
- Drive a sense of focus, ensuring that we are executing and delivering the highest priority projects.
- Cultivate accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results.
- Articulate a technology strategy that allows engineers to make great decisions and balance paying down tech debt, building for scale, and shipping new functionality.
- Recruit top engineering talent. Work with recruiting to put together a hiring plan and strategy that supports the team’s needs and promotes diversity.
- Develop your people. Help your people grow and learn so they continue to see a place for themselves at Gatsby as they progress in their careers.
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively with Product, Marketing, and Sales to ensure the execution of our roadmap.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment for all engineers, so they feel valued and empowered to do the best work of their careers.
Best Parts of the Job
- You get to lead a group of incredibly passionate, talented, and curious engineers.
- We’re building the future of the web, so needless to say, you’ll get to work on a very cool product.
- Empowering people is really important to us, so you will be able to have a huge impact on the success of the company and the experience of our many talented employees.
Worst Parts of the Job
- You’re going to have to build some things from scratch and keep iterating on the pieces that we have started on. Gatsby is a young organization and not all processes are in place and as we grow pretty much everything will need to be adapted. For the right person however, this may be one of the best things about the job.
- We have both an established open source product and a budding new commercial one. You are responsible for making both thrive.
- We’re fully distributed, which is awesome, but it can prove to be a challenge when managing a growing team.
Benefits and Perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR coworking/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone bill reimbursements
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (or whenever that becomes a thing again)
Equal Opportunity Statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.